On Saturday, Phillip Schofield confirmed he was “stepping down” from his role on This Morning, leaving his co-star Holly Willoughby to present alone.
Now, Express.co.uk has unearthed old footage of the presenter being “sacked” from his first job on air by the BBC’s Michael Grade, Director of Programmes.
Journalist Robin McGibbon recalled the incident in his 1992 biography titled Phillip Schofield: This Whole Amazing Story.
He said the “only way” for the dynamic duo to go “was up” after their on-screen popularity.
He shared at the time: “Then on-screen in front of millions of adoring fans Phillip was summoned by Mr [Michael] Grade, and given his marching orders.
“It was unthinkable. It was unbearable. And, of course, it was untrue.”
READ MORE:Schofield’s goodbye shows he was loathed as Holly branded ‘ruthless’
Mr Grade told Phillip he would be away from the TV cameras for three years, and instead would be locked inside the post room.
Another unearthed clip showed Phillip’s final show and saw him sitting outside the BBC offices.
In the footage, Phillip said to Mr Grade: “Don’t worry about me, by the way, if you watched the first bit, because the calls are flooding in, they are bursting in, all sorts.”
“Don’t delude yourself, there’s no one here look, it’s deserted,” Mr Grade laughed.
“I mean you’re finished nobody needs burned-out old specimens like you, we want young vibrant faces, ha ha ha.”
However, it later emerged the clip was a stunt pulled by Phillip, who had been offered a new job presenting Saturday morning TV.
The unearthed footage comes after Phillip confirmed he was leaving This Morning after 14 years.
The presenter issued a heartfelt statement to social media listing the reasons behind his exit.
His departure means Holly will present the show with some of the guest presenters the show currently has.
Holly also issued a short statement and explained she would be taking an extended break from This Morning and would be back on June 5.
Phillip’s future on Dancing on Ice has also been thrown into doubt as the bookmakers predict he will also be “given the boot”.
Despite the latest odds, Phillip is expected to return to ITV next month to present the British Soap Awards.
ITV boss Kevin Lygo also confirmed the broadcaster would continue to work with Phillip.
He stated: “Phillip is hands down one of the best broadcasters of his generation and we thank him for his two decades worth of absolutely terrific television on the This Morning sofa.
“This Morning is made by one of the best and most diligent teams in television, who produce over 12 hours of live television each week.
“We look forward to continuing our relationship with Phillip starting with The British Soap Awards in June and a brand new peak time series to come.”