The Japanese charts for the week of 25th July to 31st July are in from Famitsu, and it’s a big week for RPGs and the Switch.
The top two spots are taken up by two brand-new releases this week. Monolith Soft’s Xenoblade Chronicles 3 runs away with the number one spot, selling a staggering 112,728 physical copies. No surprises here, really, as the game is reviewing incredibly well and was one of the most-anticipated launches on the Switch for this year.
Coming in behind it with 28,536 units sold is Digimon Survive on Switch. The visual novel with strategy RPG elements has still sold a respectable amount, and we’re happy to see it chart well alongside Nintendo’s big RPG series. Nintendo Switch Sports is just behind the Digital Monsters after another solid week of sales.
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak and Live A Live continue to do well, with the latter slipping four places after topping last week’s charts. And to round out new entries, Idea Factory’s latest visual novel — Tengoku Struggle: Strayside — debuts in ninth place.
Here’s this week’s full top ten, which is dominated by Switch releases (except for one sneaky Gran Turismo 7):
- [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Nintendo, 07/29/22) – 112,728 (New)
- [NSW] Digimon Survive (Bandai Namco, 07/28/22) – 28,536 (New)
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 24,966 (623,493)
- [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Set (Capcom, 06/30/22) – 17,209 (217,472)
- [NSW] Live A Live (Square Enix, 07/22/22) – 14,098 (85,235)
- [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 (SIE, 03/04/22) – 12,453 (139,888)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 11,542 (4,745,609)
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 11,201 (823,909)
- [NSW] Tengoku Struggle: Strayside (Idea Factory, 07/28/22) – 10,912 (New)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 9,873 (2,727,866)
There’s one big surprise in this week’s hardware sales; the PlayStation 5 is the second best-selling console of the week. The big white box has overtaken the Switch Lite and standard Switch model by a significant margin, selling 36,237 units. It’s only six thousand units behind the OLED, which raked in an impressive 42,355 sales.
- Switch OLED Model – 42,355 (2,097,719)
- PlayStation 5 – 36,237 (1,548,670)
- Switch – 20,489 (18,547,427)
- Switch Lite – 10,394 (4,827,025)
- Xbox Series X – 7,093 (134,893)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,099 (255,311)
- Xbox Series S – 1,895 (148,132)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 87 (1,187,961)
- PlayStation 4 – 14 (7,819,783)
< Last week’s charts
As always, share your thoughts on the latest Japanese charts in the comments.
Please note that some external links on this page are affiliate links, which means if you click them and make a purchase we may receive a small percentage of the sale. Please read our FTC Disclosure for more information.