From Tostarena Town to the Ice Cave, here’s where to find every one of those 100 pesky purple coins in Super Mario Odyssey’s Sand Kingdom.
Super Mario Odyssey was a huge hit for the Nintendo Switch. Its long gameplay time, hidden secrets, and engaging mechanics make for a well-rounded and fun experience. It’s also a substantial collectathon, with a myriad of items to track down, some of which are very easy to overlook. Purple coins are found in every world and are an exclusive currency for that particular kingdom. These can buy hats, costumes, and various other items. Completionists will enjoy the challenge of nabbing them all, and purchasing fun collectibles with them along the way.
After traversing the Cascade Kingdom, a chilly sandscape is your next stop, full of colorful houses, characters, and a lot of red sand. The vibrant and fun-filled Sand Kingdom also boasts some tricky foes, but more importantly, it’s full of purple coins. Aside from the small town in the middle, there’s a whole landscape to explore. The Sand Kingdom in particular offers 100 purple coins to collect, so there’s no time to waste! Here’s how to find every single one, from the ice caves to the town’s fountain.
- The first area to collect purple coins would be on the small sandy hill right at the start. There you can collect two coins.
- Right at the front of town on the left side is the Crazy Caps store. Jumping on the umbrella here will cause gaming’s greatest icon to bounce, making the three coins on top obtainable.
- Using the umbrella’s boost power, hopping onto the top of the Crazy Caps store is possible. Waiting up there are six coins.
- Right past the Crazy Caps store and in the middle of town is the fountain. In the water, all around the base of the fountain, are four coins.
- Riding the power rail to the right side leads to another brightly-colored building. Right after exiting the rail, there are three purple coins.
Accessing the power line requires Cappy! Throw Cappy at the base of the power line to get onto it.
- Looking behind the building can be helpful, as three coins can be found behind the building on the right side of Tostarena Town.
- Using the flower boost pad to the far left of the fountain allows access to this domed building. Along the back of the dome are three purple coins.
Rocket Bonus Area
Using the rocket, you can access the bonus area of the Sand Kingdom. This is located on top of a building, accessible via the power line. From there, even more clusters of purple coins await!
- The first requires waiting until the building turns to make a platform to collect two coins.
- The second requires waiting for the building to turn upwards, revealing a staircase with coins on it.
- While in the ruins, a ledge behind a wall contains three purple coins.
- A section on the side of the ruins has an indent, in which three coins are hiding.
- In the next 2D section, three purple coins can be collected by hitting two secret blocks and hopping up them to access the flipped ceiling.
- Once you exit the 2D section and make it to the top, the back of the stairs hides three more coins.
- A secret path lies on the base of the round tower, revealing three purple coins.
Going into the hole in the corner of the Ruins (through the gap in the gate) leads to the ice cave, where more purple coins can be found.
- Two of them can be found on the side path near the start of the cave.
- Two coins are located right after you jump onto a new platform from there. Cappy can be used to collect them.
After exiting the ice cave, jump onto the lion to ride it and unlock the ability to walk over poison. Yet more purple coins await in these treacherous areas.
- Using the lion or jumping over the gaps in the poison lake with Cappy can be used to get these two coins.
- Taking control of Moe-Eye allows you to see hidden paths over poison. One of those paths ends with three purple coins.
- When entering the temple, choosing the stationary path yields three coins.
- Using the upper bridge during the poison dash allows you to get another three purple coins.
- The series of rooms includes a chamber that features four purple coins. Tossing Cappy onto the Moe-eye in each room allows you to see the path to them.
- During the Bullet Bill section, a platform has six purple coins sitting upon it.
Ice Cave 2
After escaping the tunnel, head right under it and into this hole. This leads to the next ice cave, where more purple coins will be found.
- The first three coins are found at the end of the first split in the path.
- Throwing Cappy onto the stack of goombas proves crucial for getting these four coins. Travel across the platforms atop the goomba stack to reach them.
- These three coins can be found on a pillar stuck halfway in the ground.
- The spot at the edge of the world shows three purple coins. Scooting over while holding onto the ledge makes it possible to obtain them.
- The floating platforms require Cappy to be thrown at each of the gears. Upon hitting them, a shock wave stretches out around it until it disappears. During the ride, throwing Cappy at a gear can unlock another platform. Ride it until the end of its track and throw Cappy once more to obtain three purple coins.
Going directly left from the Odyssey’s landing spot will lead to the Oasis. The last of the kingdom’s purple coins are found here: there are four of them under the water.
How To Use The Sand Kingdom’s Purple Coins
With all that coin collecting over with, what’s left? Spending them! Heading to the Crazy Cap Store right at the front of town allows you to buy exclusive items with all those coins. Get a cowboy hat, a sphinx for your ship, or even a poncho to wear around. With all the coins, you can get everything in the shop. Have fun and happy styling!
NEXT: Most Influential Games Of All Time